Welcome....To the world of Ideas and Original Thinking

The Promise


“…and now I call upon Mr Shantharamji, the architect of making Umbli Hosur the model village of Karnataka”
Amidst the sea of applause, Shantharamji, now in his late eighties, a lean and a physically weak person,
with the help of two young hands walked towards the dais. As the governor honoured Shantharamji with a shawl, a bouquet of flowers and a memento, thousands gathered there, saluted the great man with a standing ovation. Shantharamji gazed at the heavens above for a while and then waved his hands towards his people for whom he lived. There was hardly anyone in the crowd, who could hold their tears; tears of joy and gratefulness, offered solely to the architect of their lives…..Shantharamji.
Obliging to the pressing appeal of the crowd, he slowly walked to the podium, to share the glimpses of his meaningful journey.
“It all began with a fall….” he whispered.

It was 9.30 p.m., as I got down in the Raichur station. I was full of joy for the mission accomplished. Gazing my eyes around, I found the crude darkness overwhelming the earth. I rushed to an auto. The dark clouds, heavy wind and the threatening thunder were hinting at something unusual and inevitable. As I was nearing the village, there was heavy downpour. Paying the auto fare, I ran to my palace, a small rented room.
             There was hardly anything to eat. I was terribly hungry. I decided to manage the night with a piece of bread and an omelette.  I took out a bottle of beer, bought from Mangalore. Covering myself, with the blanket, I started to cherish a glass of beer. For a while my lonely mother, far in Mangalore, came to my mind.
Son, live for those, who have no one. God will be at your side,” her words always keep me going.
My memories ran back to the day I first landed in Umbli Hosur. I wanted to be a social worker. My mother never stopped me. She always wanted me to live my dreams.
It's almost two years now. I was in my early twenties, full of dreams and ideas. But the reality around was hard to accept. It was a caste ridden society with all sorts of social evils. Being born in a Dalit family in this village, was worst than being a dog in the high caste family. Looking around, I felt threatened for a while, but my conscience prompted me, 'Don't give up before you really begin.'
I started to gather children and teach them in my room.
The melodious singing, echoing from far caught my attention. There was a small boy, standing near the fence. As I came out, he ran away.
 I started visiting the houses. Each had a story to tell, a grief to share, a misery to outpour.
On that morning, while I was teaching the children, I found a gentle touch on my shoulder. As before, the little boy ran away.
 Rain was getting heavier and heavier.... Clock struck 12.
'Tuck...tuck...’ I felt as if someone knocked at the door. The beer had taken hold of me. The goddess of sleep was slowly engulfing me. I didn’t bother to get up.
After being with the children for the whole day, I went to the sea shore that evening. Suddenly I realized, there was someone standing beside me. It was the same little angel, the little boy with sparkling eyes. He sat next to me, as there was no one around.
Where do you stay...? I asked him.
Pointing his finger towards the village, the boy replied, “there.” I happened to see his arms that were torn apart. The foul smell of cow dunk oozing out of his body was nauseating.
“What's your name..?”
“Basava...” he replied
After a long silence, he held my hand, “Come to our house”
A small grass hut, smaller than my room, was their house. The door was locked. We waited and during all that time Basava sat next to me with a gentle smile.
It was getting dark and the door was still locked. I thought of making a move, just then Basava ran to his father, “Appa, this is the Sir, I used to tell you…”
“Come in Sir. I had gone to work” he opened the door. With him was his little daughter, Yellamma.
Amidst the tiredness of the day and the tensions of life, Rangappa was trying to put up a smiling face.
“What about your wife...? Isn't she back yet..?” I enquired.
 Tears rolled down his cheeks.
He asked the children to go out and play.
What happened Rangappa...? Where is she…?” I insisted.
“He took her away...” Rangappa opened the pages of his life. A life bruised with oppression, struggle and deep insecurity.
“I had taken, Rs 5000, 2 years ago, as my mother was seriously ill from Gowda (Land lord). In return he took away the little land I had.”
 6 months ago he came again, threatening me that I should pay him Rs. 15,000, the amount with interest within a weak and if I fail to do so, I'll have to bear the consequences.
I am an illiterate, poor villager. From where will I get the money?
“On that day, he came with his men and forcefully took away my wife. He's a strong man and powerful too... I couldn't stop him.”
Rangappa was biting his teeth, “…they used her. Few days later, I got her dead body, thrown in the village well...” He cursed the day he was born.
“All that I have today are my children....”
“My son, Basava, just 9 years of age, is a bonded labour. Yellamma and I too, work in his field, trying to repay the amount.
“I am given a month’s time to pay the money back. Lest the seal of bonded labour will be put on Basava, for life and Yellamma too will be taken away.”
 “God will show us the way, Rangappa...” I knew my words wouldn't console the injustice done to him.
As I started walking back, Basava came running to me, held my hand, and whispered,
Sir, I too want to study, I too want to be like others. Will you help me...?”
 For the first time in the past 18 years, my eyes had gone wet.
The reality around was pressing on me, to get out of my cowardice and respond.
“I shall...... Basava ...I definitely shall…” I promised.
Returning to my room, I called up my mother for guidance. I briefed her of everything.
”Shantha.... the little property that we have and the house, should be of some use...” she replied promptly.
 “No...No... How can that be...? What will happen to you then...?” I wasn't happy with her response.
“Shantha, God has his ways.  I will be taken care...”
Selling that little property meant, she had practically nothing. She is a saint who always thought of others. I have not seen God but I have seen my mother.
Thus I had gone to Mangalore, as I had also sent a word to Rangappa, that they will be liberated soon.
I was back with the amount. Yes, the satisfaction of saving three lives, deep within was over whelming.
“Tupp...tupp...” there was a loud noise. It was almost 2 in the morning. I decided to sleep off. The knock went on for some time and slowly faded away. I slept. Yes, I really had a deep sleep, that night.
 With the early sun rays and the chirping of the birds, I got up, full of enthusiasm. Without delay, I started towards Rangappa’s house.
As I got closer to the house, I sensed a kind of terror in the air. The door of Rangappa’s hut was thrown, out in the courtyard. I ran into the house and what do I see…!!! The whole house was in a mess. Soaked in the sea of blood was Rangappa, fallen unconscious.
After the sprinkling of water, he opened his eyes. I could feel the desperation, pain and helpless anguish on his face.
Rangappa…What is all this…? What happened to you…? I enquired in fearful uncertainty.
“They took my children away…” he replied.
“Who….??? Tell me what happened clearly…?” I insisted.
“Gowda and his men had come, last night and asked me to pay the amount immediately…”
“Then why didn’t you come to me..?” I was angry.
“I came running to you, thinking you would help. I knocked and knocked and kept knocking …but you never opened the door…”
“I then ran back, pleading him to leave my children. All that I received were the kicks and knocks….Like my wife, my children too…” he wept bitterly
“……..”
There was a loud noise. Rangappa had liberated himself. Yes, he committed suicide, jumping into the well.
  “Have thine own way Lord, Have thine own way…” I heard the singing from the far away church. That was Holy Saturday. People were mourning as their Lord was killed unjustly and sealed in the tomb.
I collapsed there in the courtyard. My conscience held me guilty.
‘You could have saved them….’
I couldn’t face my conscience. Reality did try to awake me several times but I never listened. May be I never had the courage to.
“It’s all over…there’s nothing left to ….I am a failure...” my conscience was still accusing me.
There was no point in my being there in that village any longer. I decided to move.
            I also came to know that Yellamma was used by Gowda and his men. She was left as the temple prostitute. My little angel, Basava, was sealed for life as the bonded labourer. Taking the suitcase, I started dragging my feet towards the railway station. I remembered the day, when I first landed in this village, full of dreams; wanting to do something for the people….the promise that I made to Basava…My mother’s sacrifice …Everything went in vein.
I was stopped by the postman. I opened the letter. My mother had sent me Easter wishes.
 Letter read….
“Son, hope things are fine with you…Know that life is a battle where winning or losing is momentary. You’ve got to keep fighting and keep moving. Do not forget, that after Good Friday and Holy Saturday, there is Easter Sunday. When you are low and feel dejected look at the cross. I wish to see you becoming a beacon light of hope to the struggling in Umbli Hosur.
Ever at your side
Your Mother
I stood there at the middle of the diverging road, confused and uncertain.
 And there I heard the same song of that little angel, from the far away cowshed of Gowda. Basava was standing there behind the fenced walls … the walls possibly he’d never be able to break…and his dreams and the promise I made…???
I gazed at the skies. The bright rays of the sun piercing through the corners of the earth filled me with hope. Sense of determination and dedication enclosed my whole self.
“Is everything over…? Is everything accomplished Shantha…?” My inner voice knocked at the door of my conscience. My suitcase slipped and fell to the ground. I decided to walk back to the village.

Shantharamji wiped his tears. Gazing at the horizons, he whispered, “…but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep.”

No comments:

Post a Comment